Tuesday, February 5, 2013

In the Beginning


A call from our Bishop to my mother with the offer for her to run the local Catholic bookstore because the priest in charge at the time was ready to retire happened in 1979. She'd have to think and pray about it. For one year, my mother worked with Msgr. Williams, Frances Connelly and Kathryn Redmond and then decided to buy the store from the Diocese, knowing that it would be better for her to make mistakes (if any) with her own money rather than that of the Diocese.
I was in college at Vanderbilt when my mother, filled with energy and the Spirit, bought the store and then after a couple of years moved from the small area downtown to a four-story building a block from the Cathedral of the Incarnation. My father, in the construction business, sent a work crew to renovate the massive building and my mother worked tirelessly with vision and mission.
The store has endured floods and fire and rough economic times. It's structure has changed but it's feel and it's purpose remain the same. We are here to serve Jesus Christ and all who He sends to us as we work with one another to spread His word. It is our goal to have something for everyone. It is our goal to serve the needs of the community. It is our goal to make a difference, to spread the Good News.
We are a family business; my mother the owner, my sister, myself and my husband the managers and many children, grandchildren and cousins who have or do work along with us. Our co-workers include friends and extended family as well and we count ourselves very fortunate to have people around us who understand the mission and the nature of the business.
As we extend our business through our website and this blog and our facebook page, we invite your comments and your encouragement and your prayers. God Bless us all as we move forward with the challenges of our times.

No comments:

Post a Comment